REFLECTOR: VG's

Lawrence Epstein ljepstein at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 8 03:53:42 CDT 2012

The fact is, (on even the best designed wing) laminar flow is only present
for a part of the wing. at some point, the flow separates and becomes
turbulent anyway. When this happens, there is no (much less) airflow over
that part of the wing that is downwind. If it happens to be the part that
includes the aileron or elevator, you lose effectiveness of that control
surface.
Properly placed VG's don't decrease (by much) the wing area that "sees"
laminar flow (in fact, may increase), they cause a local turbulence"just
ahead" of where the flow would have separated anyway. That turbulence
causes a local low pressure which "pulls" the airflow back down to the
surface of the wing (where you may get a return to laminar flow) and
thereby increases the efficacy of the control surface (or the net lift of
the wing).

Some VG's can actually *decrease *the induced drag of the wing.