REFLECTOR: VG's

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 15:41:31 CDT 2012

All,
I think David frames the problem properly from the original thread (italics
added):
On 6/6/2012 11:06 PM, David Ullman wrote:
I now have about 27 hours on 444DX.  Getting things sorted out.  I have been
to 10,500 ft and over 200kts (in a dive).  I have done both low and power-on
mushes.  I cant call them stalls as it doesn't.  Around 50 kts it just
mushes.  I still have roll and yaw control all the way down.  Overall the
plane is very easy to handle at any speed.  I hate the thought that this may
be due to the vortex generators. * I just cant intellectually get past the
fact that I have put vortex generators on a laminar flow surface.*

I can't either. A laminar flow surface and wings are designed to -avoid-
turbulent flow of all types, particularly vortexes.
One reason they go so fast.
In my mind applying VG's to a Velo is like the old F-4's flying around full
throttle with the drag chute deployed in flight.

Mark