REFLECTOR: VG's

Bob Jackson (Jax Tech) bobj at jaxtechllc.com
Thu Jun 7 11:15:35 CDT 2012

I've flown into and out of many high altitude runways and I don't think
power is a good substitute for a lower stall speed when your home runway is
that short and the temperatures that high.  Especially when you're heavy
you're going to want the most lift and controllability you can get.  4400'
is OK for landing, and OK for take-off, but it's marginal for balanced field
requirements if you have a problem in the take-off roll.

You might try a few early test flights with the plane very light and no VGs
in order to gauge the improvement from adding the VGs, but I wouldn't
recommend flying heavy without the VGs.  Do you have any idea yet what your
empty weight is going to be?  Which brakes do you have?

Bob Jackson

N2XF

  _____