REFLECTOR: VG's

John Abraham john at velocityaircraft.com
Thu Jun 7 11:15:29 CDT 2012

Kurt,

The VG's will lower the stall speed 5-7KIAS if placed in both the main wing
and the canard.  Just on the main wing will be a little less. (never place
them on just the canard)  Typically if you see them on the main wing only it
is because of the aircraft having a heavier engine in the back and it helps
the main wing lift more to load up the canard better for flight stability.
A 173 however will generally not require them because you are already
generating more lift for the weight of the aircraft compared to the STD or
XL.  They serve more as a buffer for landings and will reduce the takeoff
roll slightly.  You should be fine without them.  You want to find out where
your canard stall speed is at altitude and go from there.  That will
determine your approach speed.

                      John Abraham

Chief Pilot, Executive V.P. Sales and Marketing

                  200 W. Airport Drive

                  Sebastian, FL 32958

             <http://www.velocityaircraft.com/> www.velocityaircraft.com

                  (P): 772-589-1860