REFLECTOR: High speed ground cont.

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 17:07:42 CDT 2012

Hi Chris,
Turn your A/C off when taxiing, that will keep temps down... :)

I assume you have a fan on your radiator, pc fans on the oil coolers have
shown results on some applications.
I would research an H2O injector, they are quite effective in cooling the
EGT's and CHT's. Rotary's seem to get hotter quicker than Lyc/Cont's due to
less thermal mass to absorb the heat while taxing and under low airflow
conditions.
Your temps actually sound encouraging, but on climb-out when you fly that
bird, I'd be keeping your climb very shallow to scoop as much air as
possible. Maybe even climb at 120kts/500FPM.
That'll be hard as the ground will stop being your friend on your first
flight and you'll want some distance from it, but your cooling will suffer
at WOT if you try and climb it out at 80 to 100 kts. We Lyc folks have a
similar prob on hot days.
When she's airworthy, come see me!

Mark Magee
N34XL XLFG 300HP