REFLECTOR: Insurance advice needed

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 18:18:19 CDT 2012

Guys,

I have my airworthiness inspection schedule for next week, got my complex
endorsement then went down to Velocity a few weeks ago for transition
training (went great, John's a great instructor), so first flight is in
sight.  I had some bad news from my Avemco rep.  I've had builders
insurance with them for awhile and had talked to them last week about
transitioning to flight insurance, liability only.  Fine, they said,
everything was in order after I relayed all my info.  But, today I got a
call and my rep said I need another 5hrs in retract time before they'll
insure me.  Just go out in an Arrow for 5hrs, he says, and you'll be good.

A couple things - no, 5hrs in an Arrow after coming off Velocity transition
training and I'll be worse.  It took about 5 landings to get out slow
landing, aileron control on final mode and into 85kt final, all rudders.
 Five hours in an Arrow right before my first flight would not be a good
idea.  Secondly, why do they care about my time in a retract for liability
insurance?  Landing wheels up doesn't do a lot of damage to the runway.
 Sorry, just venting.

Anyway, I'm considering my options now.  Fly without insurance for the
first 5hrs?  Does anyone know any other insurance companies for low-time
retract pilots (I have 5hrs retract time)?

Geoff
173RG
http://thegerhardts.com/velocity