REFLECTOR: OIL/AIR SEPARATOR....

vance atkinson nostromo56 at tx.rr.com
Sun Jul 15 07:48:21 CDT 2012

>> I was also concerned about returning the oil to the crankcase as it
>> is contaminated with bad stuff. Acids, raw fuel, etc...
>>
>> Scott
>
> I agree with Scott.  Block off the return line and fly for a few hours
> and then examine the collected oil... really nasty stuff.
>
> Sid

You should never return the oil from an oil separator to the crankcase
!  Its the most vile, disgusting collection of gunk Ive seen come out of
an engine...

If you don't believe me, capture some in a small one pint bottle ( like
I did in the inclosed pic...upper left corner) and take a whiff of that
stuff... awful !

You can vent the line that comes from the "collection side" of the oil
separator to the outside of the cowl, but that will leave a nice looking
oil streak on the cowl.

Better to capture it like I did, that way you can see how much oil is
being separated out.  Mine is about two feet down from the separator
using a rubber hose stuck in a Revlon polypropylene bottle.  Simple got
the bottle from my wife.  I usually empty the bottle every 4 to 6 months.

Vance Atkinson
EAA Tech and Flt Advisor
COZY  N43CZ
VEZ N3LV