REFLECTOR: Hope

Terrence Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 11 09:59:00 CDT 2012

Nick and Connie,
I applied a two part Akzo Nobel primer on mine.  Only later did I read thru
all the literature that said (in major part) that it had to be top coated
within a day or two.  It was months.  Then the final top coating was a
Dupont auto color-then-clear coat system that talked a lot about their own
primer products.  So before top coating, I scratched up my primer coat some,
then re-primed w/ another primer that was recommended and the Dupont top
coats.  It chips on me.  The Dupont stuff chips off and exposes the 2nd
primer product.  This happens mostly at the door jams and the mating
surfaces of fuselage to engine cowl halves.  I guess the lesson is stay with
one product line.

I also choose to take the paint tasks to the top coatings prior to test
flight, only because I had the time an opportunity then.  I did put a few
tool and belt buckle etc dings in my own paint job during the test flight
period and a shake out period after that in the next 40 hours when I found
more little stuff to correct.

I am also of the school of "it is an airplane" and is supposed to look like
it is getting used, that not to say I am not envious of the true beauty
queens in the fleet.   Good luck with the choices before you.
Terry