REFLECTOR: A/C (was Re: GRT Displays overheating - Anyone elseseethis?)

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Wed Jul 11 10:01:06 CDT 2012

It was almost certainly bleed air.  For military purposes, it's light
and simple.

One of my previous jobs, we built electronics to fly in externally
mounted pods.  Heat rejection was our biggest enemy.  Keep power
consumption low, and it gets easier.  There's some crazy stuff out there
with the extreme being water cooled blade mounted VME or PCI cpu
boards.  That stuff is insanely expensive because the military is the
only customer, and most things are in quantity 1 to 10.  How about a 3"
muffin fan that costs $400?  I thought we were getting ripped off, but
after seeing the testing that goes into it, and the performance
parameters it makes more sense.  Most times we had no choice either.
The customer states the requirements and we had to engineer to them.