REFLECTOR: Hope - flying in primer

David Ullman ullman at robustdecisions.com
Wed Jul 11 08:26:44 CDT 2012

To answer Nick's question; I am flying in primer. The primer I used is
actually white epoxy car paint.  I sanded to about 600 grit and applied thin
coats.  I did this because I knew there would be mods and dings during the
early going.  My advisor tells me that this winter I will pull the plane
apart, solvent clean it, resand at 600 and then paint it.  He has done this
many, many times with good success.

Although I hate to admit it, in some places that I have fixed, I have used
rattle can white to cover it temporarily so it didn't look too blotchy.
Solvent will take this off.

Later today I will use 444DX for my frist utilitarian flight.  I have a
business meeting in Portland (75 miles away) and I will fly to it, still
within my FAA 100 mile radius.  Of course this will cost more than if I
drove and take about as long at over twice the speed (counting getting to
and from airports).  The hundred dollar hamburger comes next week.

David Ullman
N444DX
President EAA 292
541-754-3609