REFLECTOR: GRT Displays overheating - Anyone else see this?

Brett Ferrell reflector at velocityxl.com
Mon Jul 9 07:00:31 CDT 2012

Scott - As I mentioned, Yes, I already tried a small computer fan, and Yes,
I already tried running one of my two fresh air lines from the nose NACA
directly the back of the screen where the heat sink is located, and neither
helped really at all.

Larry - It comes back within a "few" seconds, basically shutting the
display off removes the heat and a few seconds later it reboots.  I'm not
sure how cool it must get to restart, but it seems to cool pretty quickly.
The good news is that if it detects airspeed it goes right into flight mode
(you don't have to press accept as you normally would).  Both AHRS were
still up, so any screen that was up still had all air and heading data.  If
it takes 12-15 seconds to reboot (haven't timed it, that's just a guess),
I'd say they were down about 20-25.  Each of my 3 screens did this at some
point.

I'd previously had one shut off valve in the oil line (actually, a 3 way),
but took it out when I put in hoses to replace the hard AL line.  My
rationale was that if I didn't block the supply and the return that extra
cooler would be exposed to, and eventually obtain,  the hot oil temperature
anyway.  Yes, having oil  flow through it will get it there more quickly,
but without air flow it is only transferring heat to it's surroundings by
raditation, so it's final temperature is all that is really important.
That means two valves or pull the cooler.  Since my plane is a little nose
heavy anyway, I'll probably pull the cooler.

All - Back to my questions, has anybody else seen this?  Do most folks have
vents in their glare shields already?

Brett