REFLECTOR: firesleeve crimping tool

Don Johnston numa at comcast.net
Fri Jul 6 12:04:15 CDT 2012

Thanks Patrick.

I found one that looks very similar to the $123 version on ebay for $20
that includes a couple dozen bands. For $20, it's worth a look.

-Don

From: Patrick Horvath <phorvath at mindspring.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 12:42:37 -0400
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: firesleeve crimping tool
I've got the $23 version.  It was suggested to me by one of the guys at the
Aircraft Spruce store.  He said he's had nothing but good feedback on it.
 I've used it - works great - professional looking results - not sure where
the $123 version would be better.  Maybe if you had to use it every day.

Just my thoughts, I'm sure someone has another opinion.

Patrick
TXL-5 RG
N74GP

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 6, 2012, at 11:53, Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net> wrote:

> When it comes to tools, I try to follow a piece of advice I got long ago:
>
> If you buy the best, you only cry once.
>
> I have mentioned this enough that if my son is with me when we whip into
Home Depot for a tool, as I'm reaching for the cheap version, he'll "tsk,
tsk tsk" and quote my line back to me. At which point we will discuss the
amount of use and quality of the result and determine if the cheaper
version is appropriate in this scenario.

> But I'm in uncharted territory. Crimping the ends of firesleeve hose.
Aircraft Spruce has two tools: One for $23 and another for $123. Does
anyone know if the $23 tool is good enough for the number of crimps that
will need to be done? And is the quality of the crimps acceptable?