REFLECTOR: Michaels Epoxy Pump or handpumps ?

Andy Millin amillin at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 31 10:45:05 CST 2012

Yes, you could use West System to build the whole plane.  The reason we don’t is that it costs more and even the slow hardener is must faster than the EZ-84 we use.  When doing the larger layups the longer work time is required.

If you get the fast hardener, you’ll want to have everything in place within 45 minutes of initial mix.  For a larger layup that will require good prep.  If it is 80 degrees or more, you might have 30 minutes.  You’ll want to avoid larger batches as it is kicking harder and can exotherm on you.  I have had batches of micro exotherm with the West.  I consider this to be the nature of the beast, not really a downside.

I used it for most of the completion tasks and by then I was greatful for the speed.  With West I was able to complete a series of 3 layups in the same day.  That would have been 3 days minimum with EZ-84.

BTW, if you are doing fill work, you might want to look into West System 410, Microlight Faring Filler.  Use it like micro AND spot putty.  It spreads much better.  It sands better.  It feathers out beautifully.  It costs a more than micro, but … time vs. money.  A 5 oz container is approximately a gallon by volume.  Make sure you work it well on a booger board before you apply it; want the bubbles out (same with micro).

Another tip.  FWIW.  I stopped using sand paper for layup prep as well.  I was directed to 3M maroon Scotchbrite pads.  Again, they cost more, but they will get to the bottom of the weave almost immediately.  You’ll get a great scuff in a fraction of the time.  Buy the whole box at a premium auto paint supply store.

Andy

Andy Millin

amillin at sbcglobal.net