REFLECTOR: Door flange questuion

Dennis Martin dennis.doc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 10:20:16 CST 2012

Matt,

Here's how I did it:

1. Buy this tungsten grinding burr from Woodcraft:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000943/10226/Carving-Burr-Silver-Coarse-Grit-14-Shank.aspx

Use it with a 90-degree air driven die grinder (Harbor freight). I used
this for many tasks, but it's perfect for cutting out the large door hinge
area. It's a big round burr with a FLAT bottom.

2. Once your door is cut to the exact size you want it, put it in position
(best you can) and mark with a Sharpee. Then start grinding the material
out of the hinge area. The round burr will let you cut the curves like
butter. Go slowly.

3. Cut down to the depth you need to make the top of the door (hinges)
flush with the roof. (I've forgotten what the plans say here. Maybe you cut
away all the foam? Check plans.) Then Lay up the cut-out with whatever the
plans call for to make door hinges flush with top of cabin.

My doors fit almost 100% flush with the body from top to bottom. Also, the
gap between the door and the door frame is 1/16 inch all the way around. I
used duct tape wrapped around tongue depressors to get the gap I wanted.
Then use cabosil with flox to fill in the gap.

BTW, while you're buying from Woodcraft, I highly recommend you get one or
two pencil tip burrs. I used these extensively throughout the build about
as much as the large burr.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000943/10229/Carving-Burr-Silver-Coarse-Grit-18-Shank.aspx

Caution: Don't use any of these tungsten burrs on metal - no aluminum or
any other metal. Metal will ruin them. Use on fiberglass only.

I hope this helps. Email back if you have questions.

Dennis
Chevy V-6 Powered 173 FG Elite

--
All the best,