REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat

Fred Anderka fred at holohil.com
Thu Jan 19 12:35:17 CST 2012

Peter:

The link to the heater site is:  http://www.webastoshowroom.com/pdf/New%20LIt/AirTop2000ST_spec.pdf.  Check out your local truck stop that has repair facilities, they most likely will have them in stock.  The most common application is to heat the cabs or sleepers of large semi tractors so they don't have to run their engine when they stop for a rest.  Marine supply stores may also have them in stock.

The problem with using engine oil is that when the OAT is very cold, the oil temperature goes below 180 in cruise and the vernitherm does not divert any of the oil to the auxiliary oil cooler (heater) in the front.  You can gauge the temperature of the oil by feeling the oil line duct on the left side of the cabin floor.  Except for takeoff and climb out it is cold within 15 minutes of reaching cruise altitude and I have an IO-550 back there with no fresh air ducting to the engine mounted oil cooler.  Must devise some kind of adjustable flaps on that cooler to keep the oil temperature closer to 200, 170-175 in cruise is way too cold.  How do you IFR pilots manage oil temperatures at 16,000 ft.????

Fred

Fred,
Please forgive me if you've already posted a URL to the heater that you're intending on using.  This thread, though immensely helpful has gotten very, very large.  Would you mind reposting?

A compact, self container heater whether electric or other fuel powered seems like the easiest solution and one that could conceivably be retrofit.
 The solution that I found and posted in an earlier thread, a LongEZ driver did a oil cooler in parallel - sealing the gear door and forcing air via thru via a blower motor, though seemingly effective, is complex to implement.

TIA,
Peter

*"It's a Jungle Up There": www.zuluworks.com* *Great Aviation Gear: www.sky-gadgets.com*