REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat

David Scharfenberg dave at winco.net
Mon Jan 16 17:02:41 CST 2012

Fred,

Thanks for the information on the liquid fuel heater.  Sounds promising.

I made several efforts to seal the nose gear doors but no matter how good they looked they still leaked some air.  As you know it doesn't take much of a leak at below zero to keep the cabin cold.  I was finally able to stop the leaking by making a boot to go around the top of the nose gear leg.  It looks like a shifter boot in a car, only upside down.  It takes a ton of measuring to get it right.  I started by sticking super heavy duty velcro to the inside of the tunnel, all around the open area.  Then it was a matter of sewing up the boot (out of vinyl auto upholstery) and sewing velcro around the edges of the boot.  Then I slid it over the top of the gear leg and connected the velcros.  It really has worked well.

Dave