REFLECTOR: Fw: No management fuel systems

Lou Stedman stedmanlou at roadrunner.com
Mon Jan 16 09:34:53 CST 2012

From: Duane Swing
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2012 8:58 AM
To: 'Lou Stedman'
Cc: 'John Abraham' ; 'Scott Swing'
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: No management fuel systems

Hi Lou,

Since your e-mail ended up on my desk, I will answer it from my prospective. It really doesn’t matter much that the Velocity uses a sump system. If a fuel cap is not installed properly, or for other reasons, fuel imbalance will certainly be the result. I have heard of at least one case where the engine quit with NO fuel in the sump, NO fuel in one main tank and almost FULL fuel in the other main tanks. In this case, as I recall, the vent system came out of the main tanks and went down-hill before then angling up to the manifold at the top of the firewall. With his fuel tanks full, the excess fuel filled the vent lines and blocked any venting that would have eliminated this problem. A good rule of thumb here is fuel should always flow DOWN and the vent lines should always angle UP. On our first TXL, with full fuel, the vent lines would fill with fuel during acceleration and rotation and push the fuel all the way to the manifold valve at the top of the firewall and then push on out the bottom vent line into the slip stream. In other cases, even with a slight air leak at the fuel cap, a low pressure will slow the fuel drain from the tank with the leak. Usually once the pressure drop from one side to the other is great enough, the fuel will again drain to the sump but one tank will always show more fuel than the other. Certainly a fuel selector valve (Right – Off – Left) without the sump tank would stop this imbalance but require fuel management by the pilot. Our first SUV and at least one of our XL’s we built here was set up this way. As you know, Danny preferred simplicity and is why he selected the sump system.

As a side note, I have owned two Aerostars and they were plagued with a similar problem. Unlike most other twin engine fuel systems, Ted Smith wanted a simple fuel management system and they used three tanks. Two mains and one sump. Left wing tank fed the left engine and the right wing tank fed the right engine. The sump tank fed both engines when the mains were near empty. No selectors needed to fly to empty if all works as advertised.  Several years into the production the airplanes were falling out of the sky due to one engine starving for fuel even though one of the main tanks were still nearly full. Here is what was happening: Low air pressure over a leaking fuel cap on one wing tank slowed or stopped the fuel flow to that engine. By design, the fuel then diverted to the sump tank until it was empty and then the engine would quit. The only way to prevent the problem was to cross feed if the pilot was aware of what was happening. The final AD note required replacement of the O rings on the main fuel tank caps every annual.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, seems to be the feeling by most. Don’t be casual with your fuel system. What might work fine for years might not work the next time you fly so stay alert to fuel imbalance possibilities and land if not sure.

Duane Swing