REFLECTOR: Elevator trim problem

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Thu Jan 12 09:15:02 CST 2012

While we're on this subject, I need help with an issue with my elevator
trim.  Over the past 100 hours, infrequently it seems to trim up
uncommanded.  I push forward on the stick to keep level and push the
trim down button.  For a second or two nothing happens.  Then it
responds properly.  I know if I press both buttons at once, nothing
happens, so I'm guessing that there is still an up input in the second
or two when nothing happens.  I have a solid state relay that failed
once.  In that case the output voltage reduced to where the motor
wouldn't run.  I have a Mac 7 stick.  On the ground the buttons operate
well with no sign of sticking.  I have several questions.

Where is the mechanism that prevents operation when both buttons are
pressed?  In the stick?  In the relay?  In the motor?

Can I eliminate the relay and run full current through the stick?

I may wire lights to the leads going to the motor so I can confirm when
current is being sent to the motor.

Thanks,

John