REFLECTOR: How should my elevator trim motor perform at 80-90 KTS?

Andy Millin amillin at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 12 07:59:10 CST 2012

Congrats Dennis!

Way to go!

Andy

==========================

Andy Millin

amillin at sbcglobal.net

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Dennis Martin
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:55 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: How should my elevator trim motor perform at 80-90 KTS?

I took my first flight in N767DG last Thursday. What a thrill. All went well
except for the trim. It seemed not to move the elevator much. Not sure if I
held the button down long enough, so it could have been me being impatient.
If you're flying, here are my questions:

1. Say you're on downwind doing 90 KTS.  Approx how many inches down is the
trailing edge of your elevator? (Down from the neutral position)
2. On final over the numbers, approx how many inches down is the trailing
edge of your elevator?
3. In cruise (over 150 KTS) can trailing edge of your elevator withstand the
load of the air enough to drop below neutral using the trim motor? If so,
how much?

Here are the numbers for my elevator sitting in the hangar - inches up or
down from neutral:

Max. down with trim motor = 1.75"
Max down pulling stick back all the way = 2.25"

Max up with trim motor  =  1.5"
Max up pushing stick forward  = 2.25"

Thanks in advance,

Dennis Martin (173 FG Elite)