REFLECTOR: Getting close...couple questions

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 18:35:01 CST 2012

I had a great weekend at the hangar where I finished up a few major jobs.
 Got my panel back in and buttoned down.  Retractable gear works perfectly
now.  One job that I'd been avoiding is replacement of the gas spring that
assists emergency deployment of the nose gear.  The spring that was in
there had gotten weak and was taking forever to push the nose gear over
center.  But, wow, what an ordeal to replace that.  My arms look like I've
been fighting cats as they're all scratched up from reaching into the keel.
 Its done, tho.  I hope it doesn't need replacing for another 10 yrs.

I also re-checked my fuel system now that its fully plumbed - found a
couple minor leaks that I fixed.

So, next weekend, I will likely call the fuel truck over.  I have a couple
questions.  What's the best way to calibrate the fuel tank levels?  I have
capacitance fuel sensors as well as sight gauges.  What I'm thinking is
that I'll get one tank filled up in increments to allow calibration, then
use a fuel pump to pump it over to the other tank and calibrate that one.
Then, open up the vents and sump connections to allow them to equalize.
 I'm thinking it would be best not to have full tanks for first taxi tests
and takeoff.  Or, am I over thinking this - should I just fill both tanks
to the brim?

Secondly, for first engine start, I would like to leave the prop off to
allow for close inspection of the engine while its running to adjust idle
or look for leaks without getting my head chopped off.  Is there any issue
running the engine for brief periods without a prop (IO360)?

Thanks.

Geoff