REFLECTOR: Seat screws

Rene Dugas dugasd at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 9 17:29:57 CST 2012

Serum Cholesterol?

Rene', MD

Great post.

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Stockman, Bill
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 1:18 PM
To: jerry at jlbent.com; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Seat screws

My problem has been that the seat brackets actually twist  and that you
eventually will bend and break the fiberglass seat pans if the seat hinges
are well-attached.    Apparently my airplane has shrunk since I bought the
kit in 1997, since the seats now react like the pilot gained over 40 lbs in
15 years . . . . . . . . . . which we all know is impossible.

I know that when I sit my muscularly-toned physique in the pilot's seat, it
bends back quite a bit.   I've made several repairs, new seat hinges, etc.
but the seat apparently is losing the war with my fat $%^&%.     I also have
relatively large sitting height compared to my total height, which means I
have to have the seat pan low and tilted to keep from hitting my head on the
ceiling-this just makes the moment arm worse on the hinges.    The copilot
seat which gets less use and is normally filled by my significantly lighter
wife, has none of these issues.      My next fix will be to get new seat
pans that I will reinforce and thicker heavy duty stainless steel hinges.
My wife believes it would be easier to just lose the weight.

Bill Stockman

Senior Associate

Dayton Aerospace, Inc.

937.426.4300  Office