REFLECTOR: Seat Screws

Brooke Wolf bwolf1 at tds.net
Sun Jan 8 10:24:04 CST 2012

Chris

When I was building I got wind there might be a historical problem with the seat hinge screws.  I thought I would nip that problem in the bud by using 1/4 20 machine screws.  Well, after very limited use, I noted that the screws attaching the seat back to the hinge had loosened.  I tried to tighten them up but was unable.  The screws had bent!  I was a bit surprised, but I guess us 200 pounders do put a significant strain on that mechanism.  My original 1/4 20 were stainless machine screws.  Stainless seems to be quite "bendable".   I went to Home Depot and got some grade 5 or grade 8 (can't remember) bolts and installed them.  I haven't had the seat apart yet to check for bolt distortion, but I see no sign of it and they are not loose.  FWIW

Brooke