REFLECTOR: IO-360 Oil/CHT temps - ailerons

David Ullman ullman at robustdecisions.com
Sun Jan 8 08:36:32 CST 2012

I have a stock set up for the IO-360-C1C and our last test flight with
ambient of 50deg the CHTs were all around 400 and EGT at 1260 at low
altitude. Oil temperature was 195.

I tore out the aileron push-pull cables and rerouted them to make a better
90deg approach to the aileron arms.  It flies better now, but still too much
friction for the aileron trim system to move.  I have worked graphite into
the cables and that helps some. Moving the stick still has quite a bit of
slip-stick friction.  I measured the pull force to get it to move and it is
only 4 pounds to get it break loose, but it is not butter-smooth like I have
experienced in most other planes.  I am going to tighten the springs on the
roll trim and call it good.  Next time I pull the cables, I will put a real
roll control system in.  These push pull cables are not up to my standards
of design and piloting!

David Ullman
N-444DX Velocity
EAA 292 President