REFLECTOR: empty w&b elite FG 173/lw (speed issue fixed - thanks everyone)

Kevin Baker flykb at verizon.net
Sat Jan 7 19:22:38 CST 2012

Hi All,
I wanted to thank everyone for all their help.
Fixed/found the speed issue I had - I believe.
After checking the rigging and alignment, etc. I found that it is
amazing what wheel pants (cleaning up the plane) and improved engine
induction will do.

After adding main wheel pants and redoing the induction path/entry to
make for some better air (the original was a 90 degree hole in the
bottom of the naca scoop with nothing to 'pull' the air in. I think it
was also creating some possible neg pressure). I added a slight "scoop"
to the intake.

So now I'm getting...

New Catto Prop (very pretty) -   (ROP)
At 8,000ft  (one mini-scoop and other side no change)
Full throttle 2600/22     158KTAS
                        2500/19     148KTAS

At 4,000ft  (ROP) (one mini-scoop and other side no change)
Full throttle 2620/25     161KTAS  10.5gph
                        2500/24     151KTAS  9.5 . gph

At 2,000ft (Both sides with mini scoops)
Full throttle 2700/27     159KTAS 11 gph   (I had 2 induction paths from
the naca scoops and put 'mini' scoops on both for this run)
..... I need to do the 4,000 and 8,000 test with both these mini-scoops
on as it seems I"m getting better MP/RPM with 2 mini scoops from the
naca (still need to redo the entry from 90 to a better 45).

I think I can do a little better with improving the induction routes as
I currently have the 90deg off the naca scoops instead of a more gradual
45deg.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
Kevin Baker