REFLECTOR: VG

Al Gietzen alventures at cox.net
Fri Jan 6 19:41:14 CST 2012

The vortilons play a role similar to the VGs, just a different method and
different scale.  Their job is to generate a vortex OVER the wing at high
AOA to reduce flow separation and the span-wise flow that can develop under
the separated flow.  On a swept wing there is a span-wise flow component at
the leading edge at low speed which the vortilons use to set up a vortex
over the wing.  Vortilons have essentially zero drag at cruise.  The VGs do
a more effective job; particularly in improving aileron authority at low
speeds; but do result in some drag.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it:-).

Al