REFLECTOR: VG

Douglas Holub douglas.holub at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 14:55:27 CST 2012

Danny also increased the chord of the wing at that time for deep stall insurance, and made leading edge extensions (cuffs) for all the kits that already had wings, like mine. I think the cuffs are kind of ugly, so I asked the factory if I really needed them. Duane was of the opinion that the VGs would do as much good as the cuffs and the vortilons, so I've been flying with VGs but without vortilons and leading edge cuffs. That's also the reason that I don't have VGs on my canard.

When I was building my plane I thought having a faster wing would be a good thing. My plane is fast (200 mph at 4000 feet with less than 200 hp and a fixed pitch 2 blade prop), but I wish it landed slower. In retrospect I wish I had gone with the 173 wing. Hey, maybe I'll trade wings with somebody someday!

Doug Holub
2009 Standard FG