REFLECTOR: How to find an engine core

Jones Nick nick.jones at volvo.com
Mon Feb 27 08:37:50 CST 2012

Reiff,

First, let me say I would NOT buy ANYTHING from Performance Engine. I have personal experience with them, none of it good. I also have a friend that bought an engine from them, also not good and the experience was worse than the engine. Also, the engine you get from them will NOT have a serial number and will NOT have a history. Something I would be very apprehensive about.

If you are looking for something more powerful than stock, I would be very careful. There are a lot of people out there that pontificate knowing more than the engineers that design and test these engines. Look at the track records, talk to as many people you can about any history with them before dropping the big bucks into a "modified" engine.

If you are not comfortable with doing your own rebuild, I would probably stick with a reputable rebuilder, i.e. Don George, Mattituck, Penn Yan etc... You should also look at Continental's rebuilt options, they are quite competitively priced and have a good warranty. When I was at Continental they were building the rebuilt engines on the same assembly line as the new engines. The same folks, same procedures same tooling as a the new engines. The only parts that are reused from a core is the case, cam, crank, gears and con rods and these have to meet new standards. They use new cylinders, and new accessories. As far as buying an engine and storing it for several years, this is not as big an issue as most people think provided it is done properly. Following the service bulletins SIL99-1 and SB99-8 will ensure the engine is preserved. I have seen engines stored for 20 years following this procedure without any issues. Also, the customer support with Continental has been excellent. I had an issue with getting some parts that the distributor said were on back order. I wrote an email the Rhett Ross at Continental and had the parts within a week.

I stumbled onto my Malibu engine by just searching the internet for these engines. I was really excited when I found it and was going to put the turbo 550 on my plane until I found out how much the turbo system cost to rebuild and install.

Best regards,

Nick and Connie Jones
Velocity XL-RG
N10CN