REFLECTOR: Results (control Stick)

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Fri Feb 24 11:14:03 CST 2012

I think our torque tube design causes problems with trying to get book
numbers for control surface deflection limits.

I recently re-rigged my plane, and believe that the torque tube where
the stick is mounted flexes too much.  Also, since the stick is mounted
offset to the torque tube, then full right deflection has a different
geometry than full left.  If everything was cut symmetrical, it's much
easier to get full left deflection because the stick rises out of the
keel cutout, and lowers into the keel for a right deflection.

When the ailerons hit their limits, or if they are loaded up in the air,
then the torque tube will flex, resulting in the stick hitting the
cutout before reaching full deflection of the control surfaces.

Is this that big of a problem?  In the air, I don't think so, but on the
ground, it's impossible to get a positive crisp response of surfaces
moving with minor stick inputs.

If I were inclined to "fix" this, I would make a new stick through which
the aileron torque tube passes.  Then, relocate the torque tube to be
centered in the keel.  Not difficult really, just modify one bracket,
and the keel stiffener hole location.  I would also put another bracket,
or perhaps another "keel stiffener" type of arrangement to keep the
torque tube from flexing at the point where the stick is attached.