REFLECTOR: How to find an engine core

Reiff Lorenz Reiff at Lorenz.com
Wed Feb 22 09:45:50 CST 2012

Reflector,

I want to put a continental IO-550-N in my XL-RG. I don't want to buy a ready-to-run engine now because I have a many years left in my build. So I'm thinking of buying an "inexpensive" run-out engine that I could use for position, weight, spacing, fitting, etc. When I get close to being done, I could send this core in for an overhaul and end up with a like-new engine that still has its full warrantee.

What's a good way to find an run-out, but overhaul-able IO-550 engine?
What are the problems in this plan that I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

Reiff Lorenz
XL-RG, 30% done