REFLECTOR: N173VS RPM

Andy Millin amillin at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 21 08:57:24 CST 2012

Geoff,

Congrats on the taxi.  It looked great.

If you are looking for some help on the low static RPM.

You said you were getting low fuel pressure readings.  What fuel flow do you
get?

It looks like you have a Lightspeed EI.  Are you running 1 and 1?  What is
the "mag" check like.  Are both systems firing.

Do you have an engine monitor?  What are the EGTs and CHTs looking like when
running on either ignition system.

How much time have you spent on leaning the engine.  When I started my
engine on the plane, it was running very rich.  The Catto prop is very light
and will not be much of a flywheel.  So, you're keeping the RPM up just to
keep it running.

I have a Prince prop.  It was a challenge to get it to idle below 800 RPM.
It wasn't until Terry Brokaw helped me get the idle settings right that I
could get it to 600 RPM.

Where is your fuel pressure sensor located?

If you are running both the mechanical and electric fuel pumps, there is a
pretty good chance you can make the pressure you need.  The pressure to the
spider will be controlled by the Servo.

If the EGTs and CHTs are in the same ball park for all cylinders, then the
blockage (if any) would be before the spider.  Fuel Filter, Fuel Shutoff
Valve, lines, etc.

It is also possible your prop is over pitched.  Craig has been known to do
that.

Andy

Andy Millin

amillin at sbcglobal.net