REFLECTOR: Flutter testing

steve korney s_korney at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 17 20:56:54 CST 2012

Didn't mean to ruffle your feather Scott.... Just a reasonable observation...

Steve

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 16:07:08 -0700
From: scott at tnstaafl.net
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Flutter testing

    Yeah, it does sound risky, but I did a couple flights by myself and
    nailed down the initial speed to close to 183 kias.

    The test flight was mapped out with speeds and altitudes preset for
    testing, with a top speed set of 183 kias.  With the local
    A&P/AI in the right seat, I snuck up to just below that speed
    and he could see the winglet start to move well before I could feel
    it.

    I didn't just get in it with somebody, and go into a dive until it
    started to shudder!

    Still yes there was an elevated risk. If your risk averse don't fly
    experimental airplanes!

    Scott

    steve korney wrote:

        I hate to say it Scott... But, taking two people into a flutter
        test doesn't sound reasonable to me... For safety...

        Steve