REFLECTOR: axle size and manufacture

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Mon Feb 13 15:14:06 CST 2012

Jeff,

I made my own. I used a thin piece of aluminum to start with. Then I adjusted the camber on one side of the shim, and the Toe-in on the other side.

I used the washer thickness guideline in the plans. For fine tuning, I had to grind the final washers down (using that formula) to get exactly the thickness I wanted.
Then, I epoxied/flox them into place. DONT put epoxy between the washers... it will make enough of a difference to mess up your allignment.
Just sand the sides of the washers and butter the shim with epoxy. Have some relieve tape on the other mating surface and bolt it all together to squeeze the epoxy out and create a nice tapered surface. (lube the bolts too.. just to make sure you can get them out).

It is touchy enough that IF you bought the shims in spruce (I looked at them), you would have to grind the crud out of them anyway.

Kurt