REFLECTOR: Water Condensation in Wing Tanks & Sump

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Fri Feb 10 21:19:46 CST 2012

Dennis,

The reason you have condensed water on your fuel caps is because water
evaporated from the fuel.  The reason water evaporated from the fuel is
because water and fuel exhibit a minimum boiling azeotrope.  This
results in the minor component (in this case water) getting selectively
evaporated from the liquid mixture.  By mixture I mean both fuel,
saturated with water dissolved in it and fuel with a larger amount of
water present as a separate phase.  Fuel in the south US contains a lot
of aromatic hydrocarbons which can dissolve more water than the fuel
sold in the north.  A tank full of southern fuel can hold up to 2-3
ounces of water and you would never see it since it is dissolved in the
fuel.  But it will selectively evaporate out and condense.  I wouldn't
worry about it.

John