REFLECTOR: Water Condensation in Wing Tanks & Sump

Dennis Martin dennis.doc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 20:32:23 CST 2012

I have not flown my V for a bout 2 weeks while I've been making some
changes. I was going to do some T & Gs tomorrow, but noticed today that
both fuel caps have big drops of water condensed on them when I inspected
them. It's spooky to see that much water on my fuel caps. I tasted it, and
it's definitely water.

With half tanks, I'm sure that water is condensing on the entire top half
of the tank surface. I've read about fuel tanks being susceptible to
condensation, especially glass tanks. Has anyone had this experience, and
do you have any suggestions other than filling the tanks to the brim to
reduce condensation. I've read that this is one way to reduce it.
Otherwise, I assume you just drain your sumps carefully. I think it may
also be a good idea to taxi for 10 minutes to shake the water loose from
the tank top so it will work its way down to through the sump drain? Then,
check your sump again before take off.

All the best,
Dennis Martin
Chevy Powered 173 FGE