REFLECTOR: Circuit Breakers/Switches

Douglas Holub douglas.holub at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 13:45:25 CST 2012

Fuses could be used in that fashion, but I have a seperate fuse for each avionics box. If my transponder fuse blows in flight, I don't want to replace it. There's a short somewhere. I'll replace the fuse on the ground after I've determined what caused the problem.

The issue I have with PTC resettable fuses and manual circuit breakers is the temptation to re-energize the circuit if the problem is intermittent. If a chafed wire shorts out the comm, the PTC fuse or the breaker will shut down the current. Then if that chafed wire vibrates away from the shorting conductor, the symptom is gone and the comm could function normally again. I would be tempted to keep power cycling the comm in the hopes that it would start working again. But the sparks and current surges associated with a short circuit are not safe, so I prefer that a fuse permanently disable the circuit until I correct the problem.

I know breakers are standard in production aircraft. But they're expensive, use more panel room, and fuses work better, IMHO. Ain't experimental aviation great?

Doug Holub
Standard FG, 135 hrs