REFLECTOR: Levelling the aircraft - base point ?

Paul Folkes ausvelocity at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 17:43:39 CST 2012

Hello Patrick,

I had the same question last year when (early days)I  was looking to mark
out the doghouse cutout.  The manual constantly calls for you to "level the
fuselage" but nowhere could I find how to.  So I asked the factory and here
is Scott Swing's answer:

"You will use the canard bulkhead and the tops of the fiberglass boxes
(between the firewall and gear bulkheads that the spar sits on) to
determine the lateral level and the firewall vertical face to determine the
fore and aft level.  It is not exactly flat so take put your level on the
sides of the firewall where the triax doublers are.  Also, you can average
the differences from side to side or pick the one that puts the fuselage a
little lower in the nose.  Once you do this and you mount either the canard
or the wings, you will use the canard or wings to determine the level from
then on since the relationship between the canard, wings, wing strakes are
the important parts.  The actual fuselage level position is not very
important as long as you are close."

Hope this helps.

Paul Folkes
XLRG