REFLECTOR: MT Paint

William Walker blwalker105 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 4 15:13:34 CST 2012

Jon,

Be happy MT doesn't sell their paint in spray cans, otherwise you would be too tempted to use it. Their paint is soft, low-tech stuff that is soluble even with alcohol.
It's probably a factor of people's annoyance with these props with regard to wear issues. Definitely NOT what you want on your highest-wear airfoil.

I ordered one of these kits of Acry Glo to match my trim color of dark blue. Best thing I ever did after living with the MT stuff for 2 years. Dings and abrasions and bug impacts decreased by a noticeable amount. When it's cured it's impervious to almost any chemicals also.

I sanded smooth the MT gray, then used a good 2 part epoxy primer under the Acry Glo. It is really easy to spray to a good finish.

One word of advice: prep and paint right over the nickel leading edges. I taped these to keep paint off them and had a small (0.0015") tape edge where the paint
meets the nickel. This cost me 12 kts airspeed until I carefully filed and sanded and polished and primped these away. Real pain. Wonderful stuff that
laminar air flow.

www.aerotouchups.com/16oz-acry-glo-ki16.html

Good Luck

Bill