REFLECTOR: Equipment I wish I had.....

Patrick Sieders pjsieders at comcast.net
Sat Dec 29 21:49:08 CST 2012

Reiff,

Don't feel bad ! I never get asked to reduce to 240 kts either.. ATC is
normally very standard with their speed calls. From 250 to 210 to 180-190
(depending on flow and fit) to the marker, then slow to your final app
speed. At least on the east coast, I don't make it to the westcoast that
often. And trust me, it's much easier to get used to the faster speeds than
it is to go back to slower-than-you're-used-to speeds, together with the
lower height above landing gear.. Those will be two items I will have to
work on.. only 85 kts on final.. now that's scary ! it's all relative, I
guess ;)

When it comes to approach briefings, yes the names are sometimes confusing,
because pronunciation might not be what you expected when you glanced over
the plate. Hence the captain's "Whassss ??" in the clip.. happens all the
time into unfamiliar airports. Just remember to aviate then navigate, then
communicate ! That way you take the time to find the fix while being in
control. There is always another approach setup possible if you can't get
established, not when you forget to fly. Oh, and don't forget to breathe and
ask.. They will help, even us 'big boys' (most probably with rolling eyes
but I can't see that and frankly, don't care)

Happy new building 2013 !

Patrick

Patrick & Dana Sieders
7244 Sugarloaf Drive