REFLECTOR: Insurance

Don Johnston numa at comcast.net
Fri Dec 28 12:25:48 CST 2012

I think Piper had an almost perfect solution. At a particular airspeed, the
landing gear lowered. There was an override that would keep the gear up
below that speed.

Then one day someone flew into icing (error #1), the pitot tube iced over
(no pitot heat, error #2), the gear came down and the plane crashed.

After that, Piper removed the feature.

Or so I've been told.

-Don