REFLECTOR: Cold Weather Flying

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Fri Dec 21 10:04:45 CST 2012

Had a good flight from MS to NY on Wednesday.  Stopped at DKX Knoxville
for fuel.  That's a hard airport to find hidden in the hills.  A while
back I reported that my temps were too low in cold weather and not
enought cabin heat.  I decided to go after the source of the heat and
reduce the engine cooling air, see pic.  I thought this would be over
kill and I would have to trim it a bit, but it turns out that this just
gets the engine temps to the bottom of the desired range (250-300F) with
an OAT of 40 F.  At 30F CHTs are 240-245F.  Still, the oil temp ran at
275F with the diverter flap fully deployed and that gave too much cabin
heat.  During descent for landing, temps got very low and I had no cabin
heat.  I would like to have a way to adjust engine cooling air from the
cabin, so I can have max cooling for T/O and reduce cooing air at cruise
and reduce it further for descent.  Has anyone done this?
When the OAT got down to 30F, I decided it would be a good idea to add
some carb heat even though my manifold pressure was holding steady.  I
did not see an expected increase in the carb temp gauge, but the MP did
decrease by a few tenths indicating that the carb heat was working.
Guess I need to work more on the the carb temp sensor placement.  I had
moved it to the fitting where the manifold pressure line connects (carb
outlet).  It seemed to be giving sensible readings at higher OATs, but
not at 30 F where it counts. Looking forward to returning to warmer
weather after the holidays.

John