REFLECTOR: Battery Advice

Rich Ervin rich_ervin at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 10 18:36:51 CST 2012

Also, you will no longer need an airplane.
 CC: reflector at tvbf.org
From: slvegl99 at aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 19:12:43 -0500
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Battery Advice

Hey guys if you move south all of these cold-weather issues become non-issues.

Bob Wood
Sent from my iPad
On Dec 10, 2012, at 7:06 PM, Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:

    Yeah, It's not a regular thing, I always try to preheat  the cabin
    and engine at home when temps are below 40.

    When I have to do a cold start like that, if its sunny I will turn
    the plane so the sun is shining on the engine end for 30 minutes or
    so. I also will turn the engine through by hand 6-8 times, just
    prior to start.

    I talk to a lot of old timers that say we baby our planes, they
    routinely started engines at 0-32 degrees with out preheat 30-40
    years ago.

    Actually the wires and starter work much better at that temp.  The
    battery certainly doesn't but thats chemistry, and the engine oil
    certainly doesn't like to move as well!

    Scott