REFLECTOR: Repairing hydraulic lift pump in 1995 Velocity STD RG

sbjknox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 8 22:33:31 CST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Ervin" <rich_ervin at hotmail.com>
Subject: REFLECTOR: Repairing hydraulic lift pump in 1995 Velocity STD RG

> I have pink fluid all over the bottom of my plane, and the reservoir of
> the
> hydraulic pump is empty as far as I can reach my fingers
> (but the the inside is coated with a thick red goo).

> I don't know why this thing would have started leaking in the first place,
> and I'm not sure where it's at. Here are my ideas for fixing this...

> 1) Remove the canard first, then remove the pump from the top
> 2) Remove the pump from the inside without removing the canard
. 3) Don't remove the pump at all, but first put some fluid into the
> reservoir to verify that in fact it is leaking from that location.

If it was just a leak problem, I would go for 3).  But, the "thick red goo"
and apparently since the plane has been not flown for 10 years (or have I
mis-understood?), the canard should come off as part of a good inspection
and to allow access to the hydraulics and the broken/missing link (of your
other post). What I would do is:
1) remove canard
2) add some fluid to reservoir and run the pump and cycle the gear cylinders
until you locate the leak.
3) remove pump and reservoir, clean and repair as necesary,
4) maybe flush all the hydrualic lines... this would be a pain-in-the-ass do
do but the red goo might be throughout the system.  On the other hand, the
red goo may not be a significant issue (?).
5) fix the link rod.

$0.02

Sid