REFLECTOR: Battery Advice

Rich Ervin rich_ervin at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 8 21:48:42 CST 2012

I have an airplane battery which was dead for 10 years, but had very little usage prior to that (only a month or so).

I want to use this battery just for starting and possibly some slow-speed taxi work. I plan to order a new battery, but I'd like to continue working on this plane using the old battery until I'm ready to permanently install (and properly maintain) a new one.

I've already tried charging it, and it didn't seem to take a lick. I only charged for about 15 or 20 minutes though - once on a medium speed charger, then connected to a car battery with the engine running.

Does anyone have a tip for reconditioning the battery for temporary use?