REFLECTOR: Again GPS Jamming/Spoofing

Don Johnston numa at comcast.net
Thu Dec 6 17:45:40 CST 2012

I remember reading about this when it was published... My first thought was
that it was part of some reality TV series. You know, they take a non-event
and play some dramatic music and then announce many people will die and
mutant babies will be born because of this.

Here's my read on it:

1) The jammer (or spoofer) has to be close enough to over power the actual
GPS signal.
2) It has to stay close enough during the flight to continue to over-power
the GPS signal.
3) They will need to know what the intended path of the subject aircraft is.
4) The jammer has to send signals that will make the subject aircraft think
it is on path while in reality it is being sent elsewhere.

Yeah, I'm not worried.

-Don