REFLECTOR: Fuel pump cooling

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Aug 29 09:08:56 CDT 2012

Bob,

> The other time we have trouble with the fuel pump is on Hot Starts.  When
> the engine is really heat soaked, even once you get it started and
> apparently running smoothly, a half minute or up to a full minute later, all
> of a sudden, the engine will try to quit, and can only be 'saved' by a
> temporary slug of High Boost.  Apparently this is being caused by 'latent'
> air pockets that are still trapped in the hot engine fuel pump that require
> High Boost to help clear them out.

Yes that is similar to what I'm seeing on hot starts. Except it happens
much faster. The engine starts for a second or two then stumbles to a
stop. Like its fuel starved. I re-prime, it starts then stumbles to t a
stop. A quick hit on the boost pump will sometimes get a temporary rise
in the stumbling start but it then stops. Maybe thats related to my
slightly varying mixture in flight and why I question the cooling duct.
Every 1986 T210 and T310 that uses this particular TIO520-CE has the
cooling shroud and duct to the fuel pump. Must be a reason for it? Maybe
this particular fuel pump cavitates or something when above a certain
temp which causes slight mixture variance and hard starting?

Scott