REFLECTOR: Snow in New Orleans?

Richard J. Gentil richard at naples-air-center.com
Tue Aug 28 22:32:11 CDT 2012

December 22, 1989 I was flying from Dallas to New Orleans Lakefront (my last stop before crossing the Gulf of Mexico enroute to Naples, FL in the pre-GPS days) in solid IFR. The ATIS warned of blowing snow on the runway. I looked at a buddy of mine sitting in the right seat at the same time he looked at me. Neither of us could believe what we heard on the ATIS.

We shot the ILS and broke out a little above minimums to see all of New Orleans completely blanketed in white.

I believe that was the cleanest that dirty city ever looked.

Richard

Sent from my iPhone 4 Classic