REFLECTOR: 4th test flight - roll tendency persists

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 16:13:05 CDT 2012

Guys,

Yeah, I think you may be right.  I was out again today, drooped the
ailerons a little more and it made no difference.  It was a little bumpy so
it was tough to tell, but I'm starting to doubt my previous assertion that
it flies straight with the ailerons neutral.  Using the wing incidence
level, my wings are at exactly the same incidence.  Its possible that there
is some filler/finishing work around where the incidence gauge rests that's
throwing off that measurement, tho.  Tomorrow, I'm going to grab a digital
inclinometer and go nuts measuring the wing angles.

I flew for about an hour today, tho.  I let the AP take over and it worked
flawlessly. It was nice not to have to hold onto the stick and just turn
knobs - I think I'm going to like that.

Regarding my takeoff performance, I seem to be getting better.  I was
worried that my prop may need to go back for re-pitching, but I'm learning
how to get off the ground faster.  I now do a rolling start from the hold
line takeoff.  Also, rather than being fastidious about keeping it on the
center line while its rolling slow and building up speed, I've found that
its best to let it drift a few feet off and correct with rudders when you
get 30-40kts than to kill speed with the brakes.  Today with full fuel I
was off in ~1100'

Geoff