REFLECTOR: Second flight

Ruben Creus ruben at vainneg.com
Mon Aug 20 11:05:19 CDT 2012

Geoff,

Mine is a SE-FG with and IO-360. The numbers you are giving here sound
pretty much a similar experience I have. In the last couple of years I have
been back and forth with Catto, I have used 3 different props. Cruise, and
Climb props ranging my static from 1,900 to 2,200rpm, and take of distance
from 1,500ft to 2,500ft., climb rate from 300-500ft./m  to 700-1000ft.m and
cruising from 130KTAS to 150KTAS.

The conclusion is that there has to be a compromise, when you use a fix
prop. You can get climb in sacrifice of speed or speed in sacrifice of
climb, but the good news is that last year Catto came our with a new prop
design. It looks much fatter than normal from the bottom than the top, and
also the blade is kind of twisted more aggressively than a normal prop. With
this design, the range of sacrifice between climb or cruise seems to have
been reduced a lot.

I got one of these new designed props and it improve my take of distance and
climb rate without scarify almost any cruising, maybe a couple of knots. My
take off roll out can rage between 1,600 to 2,200 depending on temperature
and weight. In a cold day by myself I can be in the air pretty quick, in the
summer and with full weight, I always count a minim safe distance of 2,500
and if there are trees around, I aim for a minimum of 3,000ft runways. Climb
again it depends a lot on temperature and weight. In the  winter at full
weight and climb at 700ft/ with no problem, in the summer and full weight
300ft/m with DA of 4000' is the max I can get making planning for take off
and important thing, but when I am up in the air at flat level I easily get
the 145Ktas cruising speed at 2450rpm. I guess with a retract you would get
at least 10 to 15 more than that.

Do you know what type of prop do you have? The old one, or the new design?

Ruben G. Creus

* +1.571.215.0025

*  <mailto:ruben at vainneg.com> ruben at vainneg.com

  _____