REFLECTOR: Second flight

Brett Ferrell reflector at velocityxl.com
Mon Aug 20 08:54:30 CDT 2012

Ditto, Geoff, we need the static RPM to say anything.  We flew with a Catto
for years, and we did quite well with it, so your ground roll sounds like
well too much for your current weight (at least our 6 cylinder XL would get
off in 1,000' or less, we're near sea level-990', with density altitudes
typically 3,000' or less).  We were getting about 2,200-2,250 RPM static,
but it quickly climbed on the roll.

Brett

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012, at 09:25 AM, Scott Derrick wrote:
> Geoff,
>
>     I've tuned 3 props with Cato, IO360, TIO520 and IO520.  Never flew
the TIO520.

>     Whats your RPM at static, 50KIAS, 90 KIAS, 120KIAS, 160KIAS??
>
>     The static and 50KIAS are the most important for takeoff performance.
>
> Scott

first flight, then took her out for a second flight this afternoon.  I
think I'm going to have to send my prop back to Craig to have it
re-pitched, but I'd like to hear your input.  There's a link below to a
post on my website that shows the flight video as well as a CloudAhoy
analysis (if you're not familiar with CloudAhoy, its a very cool app for
recording a flight).  With just me on board and only ~20gal of fuel, I need
~2200' of runway to lift off (DA 2000'), then I have to stay low to build
up some speed to start my climb.  Once I can get to 90-100kts, I can climb
ok, but I feel a bit unsure about flying into any 3000' runways with only
800' of wiggle room, particularly if there's any trees past the runway.  My
prop is currently 66x74.  Have a look at the video and CloudAloft and let
me know how this compares to your experience with a fixed-pitch prop.