REFLECTOR: Successful first flight for N173VS

Reiff Lorenz Reiff at Lorenz.com
Mon Aug 20 07:54:03 CDT 2012

Geoff,

That's terrific news! I went to your site and saw the full write-up of the first and second flights. Love the video!
First Flight<http://thegerhardts.com/velocity/?p=511>
Second Flight<http://thegerhardts.com/velocity/?p=513>

Keep the reports coming. It's great to hear the flight test process and progress. You're providing inspiration to those who still have many years of work ahead.

Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH
Velocity XL-RG, 35% complete
Currently working on: installing hardpoints for trial-fit of Corbeau seat

The Velocity Builders' Virtual Hangar<https://liveconferencepro.com/guest/loginguest.php?id=d3a73e710c719626dd353d3b101be90f>. Available 24/7 for builders and owners:
https://liveconferencepro.com/guest/loginguest.php?id=d3a73e710c719626dd353d3b101be90f

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Geoff Gerhardt
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2012 7:11 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Successful first flight for N173VS

Guys,

Just as I did with my wife, I'll tell you all first off that I had a successful first flight today.  There were a couple issues, but nothing serious (although one did cause some nervousness during flight).  I'd been putzing around most of the week doing high-speed taxis and checking and re-checking trying to build my confidence in this beast I built.  Finally, today, after a couple high-speed taxis and hops I had no more excuses.  I'd pushed it as much as I could on the ground without any issues, so it was time to take it around the pattern.  I got a bit anxious on the climb out and got the nose a bit high.  I've got a pretty "long" prop, so after I realized I need to build some speed before climbing and put the nose down, things got better (still not great climb, tho, but I suspect its what can be expected from a 68x74 prop).  When I raised the gear, the gear unsafe light stayed on.  I didn't think to turn around and look at the main gear legs, I just figured something wasn't quite sitting right in flight.  I did one loop around the pattern and when I prepared to land and lowered the gear, all green.  With the speed brake down, I dropped it down in a tight pattern and had a nice, smooth landing.  The airport ops guys know me here (KORH) and heard on the radio I was doing first flight.  I had told them I'd let them know when I was going to do it so they could get the emergency gear ready (KORH is a real slow class D - they're looking for some excitement).  I decided not to tell them, tho, as I didn't want any pressure if I got to the runway and wasn't comfortable.  Anyway, they heard me announce on the radio, so they scrambled the trucks - I saw them driving back as I taxied in.

Oil temp was fine (it was only ~78F on the field, tho).  One cylinder got a little hot, but cooled down fine when I leveled off - I'll have to keep an eye on that.  Its all a bit of a blur now, I suspect I'll be noticing things a bit more on future flights once I settle down a bit.  Took awhile to stop smiling...

Geoff